Job Title: Research and Documentation Officer
Organisation: Initiative for Equality and Non Discrimination (INEND) Duty Station: Mombasa, Kenya
Reports to: Executive Director
The Initiative for Equality and Non Discrimination (INEND) is a local not-for-profitorganisation that researches and undertakes strategic actions towards equality, acceptance and inclusion in the Coast Region of Kenya. We share experiences and collaborate with other stakeholders in an effort to contribute towards tolerance, non-discrimination, acceptance and inclusion of sexual and gender minorities. INEND recognises the universality of human rights in the pursuit of democracy through the participation of everyone in an open, just and democratic society. In the current context however, many sexual and gender minorities have not had the opportunity to engage openly due to laws, policies and attitudes which criminalise activities and people, even beyond what is provided for in existing laws. These in turn, have resulted in threats, insecurity and harassment and thus sexual and gender minorities, who are seen to not be conforming to societal norms, have been forced to operate underground and under high risk, merely because of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
Job Summary: To conduct studies, recommend research and document evidence from primary and secondary sources on several issues, which will then input into INEND’s programming.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- v Analyse and interpret the various policies and legal frameworks and assist in producing policy briefs, research papers and other advocacy products.
- v Advise the Executive Director and the rest of the organisation on issues of legal importance which may arise in the course of INEND’s work and operations.
- v Identify and oversee the implementation of innovative approaches to disseminating information and learning to partners and external stakeholders.
- v Identify and execute strategies for closing knowledge gaps within existing systems, and propose streamlined approaches to advance knowledge on the rights and freedoms of sexual and gender minorities locally and regionally.
- v Build partnerships with research organisations in the region;
- v Organize in collaboration with the Advocacy department, policy dialogue seminars and forums for civil society,policy makers, and other key stakeholders;
- v Perform other duties assigned by the Executive DirectorEssentials:
v Writing/Publication expertise
v Direct hands on experience of research and documentation roles.
v Excellent organisation skills- able to manage themselves and others effectively.
v Comfortable working with others and on their own.
v Ability to work with others, including volunteers and interns.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
v A Bachelor’s Degree in international relations, political science or other relevant social sciences;
Initiative for Equality and Non Discrimination (INEND)
- v At least three years relevant professional experience in research, knowledge management, organizational learning and other related fields.
- v A Master’s Degree in a relevant field would be an added advantage.
- v Strong research background and experience working with both researchers and policy makers and programmanagers in the civil society sector.
- v Proven facilitation and collaboration skills working with multi-level stakeholders, including technical andsubject matter experts, government agencies, local partners, researchers and others.
- v Proven ability to organize and share information effectively.
- v Fluency in English and Swahili (written and spoken).
- v A positive problem-solving approach.
- v Good interpersonal and team-working skills.
- v A willingness to promote the work of INEND and develop collaborative work with others.
- v A commitment to working in a non-partisan manner.
- v A commitment to learn and be open for new ideas and approaches.Female applicants, applicants from marginalised groups and applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are requested to submit the following documents:
- A cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Contact details for two (2) referees.
- Current salary and salary expectation.
We will not be able to notify all applicants unless they are shortlisted. Please email your application to: email@example.com by 31st July 2018.Research and Documentation Vacancy Announcement