This listing has expired, and we are currently not accepting any more applications.
|Job Title:||Advocacy Officer – Policy|
|Organisation||Initiative for Equality and Non-Discrimination (INEND)|
|Reports to||Executive Director|
|Duty Station||Mombasa, Kenya|
Initiative for Equality and Non Discrimination (INEND) is a value-based local not-for-profit organisation that researches and undertakes strategic actions towards equality, acceptance and inclusion in the Coast Region of Kenya. Initiative for Equality and Non Discrimination was established in 2015 in response to the need for new, expanded, and diversified organising, on issues affecting sexual and gender minorities. INEND strategically and systematically engages with various actors, particularly known perpetrators of violence and discrimination, to reduce violations against sexual and gender minorities.
The Advocacy Officer (Policy) works with the Executive Director to develop and implement the organization’s policy advocacy strategy, focused on ensuring policies and practices that promote equality, acceptance and inclusion in the Coast Region of Kenya, and at the national level, regional and global levels. The holder is primarily responsible for translating policy platforms into effective advocacy actions for INEND and its partners. The Policy Advocacy Officer will lead work with, police, judiciary, legislators, regional human rights bodies, and other state actors to influence policy change. The holder is expected to inspire policymakers to increase their commitment to equality, acceptance and inclusion through advocacy to support the most effective methods of providing protection and empowerment to affected victims and survivors in the Coast Region, and other parts of Kenya.
|Key Roles and Responsibilities|
• Lead the process of developing and outlining INEND’s holistic Policy advocacy strategy in line with the 2023-2027 Strategic plan;
• Develop an implementation plan for agreed advocacy objectives; • Responsible for monitoring the implementation of strategic objectives, and updating these as appropriate
• Use knowledge and insight into the political environment to inform the organisation’s policy advocacy actions
2. Outreach & Engagement
• Design and roll-out tools and methodologies to enhance stakeholder engagement and INEND’s influence
• Strategize and execute tools and methodologies for advocacy including campaigning, lobbying, alliance building and networking that can influence and improve the development of anti-discrimination policies;
• Develop and utilise advocacy channels for the organisation to achieve relevant advocacy objectives;
• Plan and implement collective actions and lobbying initiatives for legal reforms and ground implementation of policies and frameworks initiated by the government or project for safeguarding citizen’s legal rights;
• Work with all relevant partners to foster and build support for relevant advocacy objectives amongst key policymakers;
• Manage community-led advocacy planning and ensure the execution of the advocacy strategy in coordination with partners and stakeholders
• Build partnerships and coordinate work with other networks and allies in the field of equality and inclusion in the Coast region and beyond to maximise the chance of securing advocacy wins;
• Develop and maintain clear lines of communication with key partners, allies and key stakeholders and use this to inform INEND’s work;
• Support the process to form networks with various stakeholders such as the development sector, NGOs, private sector, research organizations and academic institutions to mobilize their support for sustainable development initiatives.
• Keep abreast with INEND’s research and use the channels of advocacy to facilitate the process of lobbying for policymaking and change.
• Manage relationships and communication with international institutions and partner networks; while advising on the development of communication and Advocacy material and messages
• Develop policy positions and other useful resources in relation to the advocacy objectives;
3. Monitoring and Reporting
• Develop workplans, monitor their implementation and document impact;
• Contributes to the development of annual work plans, performance monitoring systems and tools, and writing of program reports.
• Compiles quarterly, and gives input on the annual reports of policy advocacy initiatives undertaken, ensuring statistics are correct and reports and outcomes of each initiative are clearly articulated.
• As part of INEND’s commitment to organizational learning and in support of the understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, the holder of this position will support staff to strengthen their advocacy skills and abilities.
Educational qualification and experience
A Degree in Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies, or any other related field.
• 3 years of proven track record in development programmes as well as either part of social movements or active member of civil society.
• Good understanding of programmes development and delivery, influencing and policy work at state, national and international levels with and through either partners or directly.
• Good knowledge of human rights, SOGIE rights, and development concepts, methodologies and techniques
• Demonstrated experience in undertaking desk-based research, summarizing complex information and producing advocacy materials.
• Some experience supporting successful relationship-building/awareness‐raising initiatives with internal and external stakeholders.
• Some experience engaging with members of governments, private sector companies, NGOs, and/or multilateral organizations.
Skills, Abilities and Competencies
• Programme and project cycle management skills (project design, budget preparation, proposal development, report writing skills)
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to take constructive feedback and perform under pressure
• Collaboration and partnership-building skills
• Policy analysis and advocacy skills
• Ability to establish critical working relationships
• Good Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• Confidence, openness and willingness to learn
• Self-driven with the ambition to transform communities
• Creative and out-of-the-box thinker, with a demonstrated track record of analytic problem‐solving/seeking solutions to challenges.
• Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment and problem-solving competencies
• Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well with others.
Female applicants, applicants from marginalised groups and applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are requested to submit the following documents:
1. A cover letter
2. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
3. Contact details for two (2) referees.
4. Current salary and salary expectations.
Please email your application to: email@example.com by 31st January 2023.
Due to the high number of applications, we receive, we will not be able to notify all applicants unless they are shortlisted.
Initiative for Equality and Non Discrimination (INEND) is a local nonprofit organization that researches strategies for equality and acceptance in the coast region of Kenya and shares experiences with other stakeholders in an effort to contribute towards tolerance, non-discrimination and acceptance of gender and sexual minorities.